Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found out from the IRS that I did not file personal taxes for 2017 & 18 I was a Stay at home mom and I’ve been divorced since 2019 Can I file married filing separately?

My income was zero because I was not working.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I found out from the IRS that I did not file personal taxes for 2017 & 18 I was a Stay at home mom and I’ve been divorced since 2019 Can I file married filing separately?

Did your ex file returns in 2017 and 2018 as Married Filing Jointly?  If so, there is no need to file those tax returns.

If your ex filed 2017 and 2018 as Married Filing Separately, then you do not need to file those returns if you did not have any type of income in those years.

You file according to your marital status on December 31 of the year in question.  If you were married as of 12/31/2017 and 12/31/2018, then you generally file as either married filing jointly or married filing separately.  A joint return is one return, signed by both spouses, that lists all combined income, dependents, and deductions.

Did you and your spouse file a joint return in 2017 and 2018?  If yes, did it contain all your combined income and deductions?  If yes, you are finished, nothing further is required from you.  If you filed a joint return but did not include your income, then you need to file an amended return for those years to add income and deductions that were originally omitted.  If your spouse filed as married filing separately and only listed their income, and you did not file, but you had income, then you are probably required to file a return as married filing separately.   If your spouse file a joint return and you did not know it because they concealed it from you, you may be in a special case, and we would need more information to understand.

However, it is odd that this is coming up 6 years late.  What are you trying to accomplish and why has this come up now?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies