gretchen66

I forgot to add my IP PIN and filed at the last minute will I get a penalty

AndreaC1

If you did not enter the IP PIN, your return will get rejected. If you received a 2016 IP PIN or the CP01A notice, then you must use your 2016 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2016 return. 

So when you get rejection, you can use these steps to enter your 6-digit IP PIN if you are using TurboTax Online, and then resubmit your return. You will have until April 23, 2017 to resubmit a rejected return, if you owe taxes to the government.

• Log into your return and click orange Take me to my return button
  • Type IP PIN in the Search box in the top right corner
  • Click jump to IP PIN and on the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and input your PIN there and click Continue
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead

AndreaC1