Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my return, but TurboTax continues to say that I haven't filed.

I am using TurboTax Desktop for Windows.
I have filed my taxes through TurboTax, I have received a first email from Intuit saying that my Return Status is in progress, and that the estimated acceptance date was in two days. 45 minutes later I received a second email saying "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS".

Now, when I go to the menu "File -> Electronic Filing -> Check Electronic Filing Status" it says "You Haven't E-Filed a Tax Return Yet".

If I try to file again I get the error message "The submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received. Please contact Customer Service", which I did but they were not able to figure anything out.

Is this normal behavior or TurboTax should indicate that the taxes have been filed? How do I make sure they have been filed? How do I make TurboTax acknowledge that  the my tax return was indeed filed?

(PS: I live overseas and therefore need to file only the Federal Return, I don't have to file the State Return, which I indicated during the filling of the information.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Unfortunately there is an issue with the 2022 desktop software not acknowledging the correct Electronic Filing Status.  Since you received the email from TurboTax indicating the IRS has Accepted your tax return then your filing is complete.

DnA8

IN 2022, exactly our issue too, we E-Filed our 1040 from Canada, received the two confirmations.

We had a K-1 (1165) arrive late and want to file an amended return, but because the software doesn't think we filed, no 1040-X is showing up. We can however open one, but would be afraid to e-file (if that is even possible) because TT is showing we have not done the first filing yet.  Please advise and TY in Advance

@DnA8 You can amend the 2022 tax return but it will have to be printed and mailed since the software does not have an e-file confirmation.  This is a TurboTax issue.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

The IRS will take up to 20 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

With the 2022 TurboTax desktop program started, you will need to continue the 2022 tax return that you filed and need to amend.

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Scroll down to Other Tax Forms

On Amend a return, click the start button

DnA8

Very Awesome TY 🙂

Actually did all of that since the original post, 

but excellent and sage advice on waiting for our payment to 

be processed,  Our EFILE) had already been accepted, not sure if that means "processed?"

TYSM

A of DnA

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

DnA8

There is going to be no additional taxes and no refund. For us it's just that the Partnership behind the K-1 NETFILED to the IRS and that document will be missing in our regular 1040 Return.  If we are processed, the assumption would be the discovery of the missing document, why we wanted to amend asap.  Does your advice still hold?

Thank you again 🙂

@DnA8 wrote:

There is going to be no additional taxes and no refund. For us it's just that the Partnership behind the K-1 NETFILED to the IRS and that document will be missing in our regular 1040 Return.  If we are processed, the assumption would be the discovery of the missing document, why we wanted to amend asap.  Does your advice still hold?

Thank you again 🙂

My first reaction would be that it would not be required to amend the federal tax return.

However, let me have one of our experts see if they have a different opinion.

@tagteam Would you please care to comment on this?

I think I agree with @DoninGA; probably not required and the K-1 does not get attached (whether e-filing or otherwise) to the return, regardless.

DnA8

Thank you both, sincerely

A of DnA

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies