turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed an extension via us mail by the April deadline and have not heard back from the IRS on paying with penalties and interest. How do I proceed with payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed an extension via us mail by the April deadline and have not heard back from the IRS on paying with penalties and interest. How do I proceed with payment?

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

You have until October 15, 2019 to e-file your 2018 tax return.  If you did not make a payment of estimated taxes when you requested your extension, then you will owe the tax due when you file the return.  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing after the April 15 deadline.  If you owe, however, the IRS will calculate and bill you for the interest.  TurboTax will not calculate it for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

The IRS won't determine and bill for any penalty, interest or other balance due until you file your tax return.  The extension only serves to eliminate a late filing penalty for filing after April 15 (but by October 15) and to provide a means of making what amounts to an estimated tax payment (although reported separately on Schedule 5 from other estimated tax payments).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies