cusenbaryb

I filed an extension for my fathers 2020 taxes. How do I file the taxes now? Do I have to start all over?

DanPaul02

What is different between now and time you filed the extension?

You have to sign onto the same online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the  online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your  account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

rjs

You don't have to start over. The extension just gives you more time to file the tax return. It doesn't change the tax return at all. You file exactly the same as if you were filing before the original due date.

If you made a payment with the extension, make sure the payment is entered in TurboTax. See the following FAQ.

I filed an extension and made a payment. How do I get credit for it?