turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seoferl

I entered my 1099 from Robin Hood and it included income in the 1099-MISC section. It's asking me business info, what do I put? Its investments not "other employment"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I entered my 1099 from Robin Hood and it included income in the 1099-MISC section. It's asking me business info, what do I put? Its investments not "other employment"

You may have entered the information incorrectly. What type of income are you trying to report? Is it a 1099-DIV or 1099-B? You may need to delete your original 1099 entry and re-enter the information. A 1099-DIV will be entered under Interest and Dividends. A 1099-B will be entered under Investment Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mc30

I have this same issue.

Robinhood issues a 1099-MISC for any free stock you received for referrals in box 4.

The problem is that Turbo Tax assumes any 1099-MISC is a business and then requires me to provide a business license and in my state that will also make the income subject to state excise tax.  This doesn't make sense as trading stocks and securities at a personal level isn't considered a business.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You absolutely should report the income.  However, I do understand your point.  I suggest you enter this under:

• Income
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll to the bottom Less Common Income
  • Select Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Scroll down and select Other reportable income
  • Enter your description and amount here.

That would be great and all except the turbotax program explicitly says not to report income listed on a 1099-MISC when you go through those steps

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If you indicate that the income is not related to your job, and it is not recurring then it will be treated as other income on your tax return and that is the correct treatment of it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies