Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pwculp

I entered a Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive vehicle and when I was finished, it added to full amount as a refund. Does anyone have any insight to this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I entered a Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive vehicle and when I was finished, it added to full amount as a refund. Does anyone have any insight to this?

It's a nonrefundable credit so it isn't paid to you in cash but it does decrease the tax owe and adds to your refund by reducing that tax.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anita01

It's a nonrefundable credit so it isn't paid to you in cash but it does decrease the tax owe and adds to your refund by reducing that tax.

pwculp

So that means the TurboTax is calculating it incorrectly, how can this be fixed?
Anita01

What is incorrect about that?  I'm saying the credit doesn't simply add to your refund, it reduces tax you owe and if you have enough tax to absorb it, the reduction in tax owed can increase your refund by the credit amount.  Since your refund is cash, you end up with the credit amount as part of your cash refund.
pwculp

TurboTax software added the whole amount as a refund, I already had a refund calculated and it added to it.  That's what I am saying is wrong.
pwculp

It took me a while, but after reviewing the federal tax amount I was still paying, this makes sense.  Thank you!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies