Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered 2 lines when filling the income section for the same employer when trying to e-file it keeps taking me to enter info in the state block, but will not accept X8.

I moved overseas in Aug of 2018.  Turbo tax will pot let me e-file until I correct the state block that I entered data on for block 15.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I entered 2 lines when filling the income section for the same employer when trying to e-file it keeps taking me to enter info in the state block, but will not accept X8.

Are you trying to prepare your return based on your monthly pay stub --  why did you not have a W-2, even if your are overseas.  Since you went abroad on 08/xx/2018, you would not be able to pass the Physical Presence test till 08/xx+1/2019.  So why don't you wait  till then and thereafter file a return  that will allow you to exclude your foreign earned income from US taxes .  I am assuming here that you are US citizen/Resident on an assignment abroad.

If on the other hand you are a Non-Resident Alien whom is moving back to your home country and working remotely for your last US employer then the above advice about  "Foreign Earned Income  exclusion" would not apply and therefore I can somewhat understand  your need to use pay-stubs.  But it is not advisable -- please , in that case , consider contacting your employer to forward you the W-2 or a copy of it ( because he certainly had to file one with  the IRS and with the state).

Please tell me more about your situation, including answers to my questions/assumptions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies