Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2017 and for years before that I filed as Head of House...this year, i goofed and filed single.....Should I fix? Will that result in a bigger refund? thank you!

For years, I have filed as Head of House.

This year i goofed and filed single.

I fully support my household. 

Should i fix this?  Will it result in a bigger refund?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In 2017 and for years before that I filed as Head of House...this year, i goofed and filed single.....Should I fix? Will that result in a bigger refund? thank you!

So long as you have a qualifying dependent and satisfy the other conditions to be Head of Household, you can change your filing status.

Changing your filing status to Head of Household will likely reduce your assessed tax (see the 2018 tax brackets at  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/current-federal-tax-rate-schedules/L7Bjs1EAD).

It is not guaranteed to increase your refund, because it depends on what tax credits you have taken, but it's worth the try.

Since you have filed, you will have to amend your return. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for how to amend your return with TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

[Edited 4/10/2019 9:45 am CDT]

I edited the answer to add the link for amending.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies