Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I downloaded Turbotax for Windows to prepare a return for a family member. How do I get started? I don't see an option to prepare a return for someone other than myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I downloaded Turbotax for Windows to prepare a return for a family member. How do I get started? I don't see an option to prepare a return for someone other than myself.

I believe you just start a new return and answer the questions as the proxy for the person you're filing for.  If you're filing online, you'll they will need to establish their own account and then let you access it on their behalf.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you in your Desktop program?  Do the menu items go across the top in a blue bar?  Or down the left side in a black bar?

To stat a new return in Windows Desktop go up to File-New tax return.   But first be sure to save your return with a unique name so it doesn’t get confused with another return.  Go to File-Save or Save As.  Because if you do another return and they have the same first name or initial as you their return might save over yours.

And be in the habit of saving Frequently!  When you are done save both the .tax data file and save it as a pdf file, go to File-Save to PDF.  Then you won’t need the program installed to view or print your return in the future.  Like if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  And save backups off of your computer like to a flash drive or burn a CD.

Yes, I am using the Desktop program. The menus are in a horizontal bar at the top of the screen. Since there doesn't seem to be an option to prepare a return for another person, I'm just preparing the return as if it were my own. That seems to be working. Thanks.

What do you mean preparing the return as if it were my own.?  Do not overwrite your return.  You can't go up to File-New?  And follow my steps?  Have you done your return or any return yet?  What version do you have?  I have Windows Desktop too and can make you screen shots.  

Maybe you need to update the program.  Go up to Online - Check for Updates.  And also close and restart Turbo Tax.  You may need to update your Windows System.  That's been a problem this year.

I believe you just start a new return and answer the questions as the proxy for the person you're filing for.  If you're filing online, you'll they will need to establish their own account and then let you access it on their behalf.

I am not using Turbotax for my own return. Thanks, but I've got it figured out now. No need to reply. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies