turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmvie

Can I use my HSA to purchase a new mattress?

Back pain for 8 months, cannot sleep. Been to the doctor, physical therapy and chiropractor. My doctor suggested getting a new mattress. Can i use cash from my HSA to purchase this mattress?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amounts paid for a mattress or special bedding are qualified medical expenses when authorized by a physician to treat a specific medical condition, but only for the amount that exceeds the cost of similar regular bedding. Please retain the prescription or other order with your tax records, along with proof of the cost of regular bedding.

(You may have an issue, though, if your current mattress is simply old and worn, and would need to be replaced anyway.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Did you check with the HSA plan administrator?
rmvie

I will! Thank you!

Amounts paid for a mattress or special bedding are qualified medical expenses when authorized by a physician to treat a specific medical condition, but only for the amount that exceeds the cost of similar regular bedding. Please retain the prescription or other order with your tax records, along with proof of the cost of regular bedding.

(You may have an issue, though, if your current mattress is simply old and worn, and would need to be replaced anyway.)

I doubt condition of current mattress would matter as only the amount above a replacement mattress is allowed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies