Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don’t understand the estimated tax payment if all I receive is a W-2 form. Where would I find my estimated tax payment or if I even need it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I don’t understand the estimated tax payment if all I receive is a W-2 form. Where would I find my estimated tax payment or if I even need it?

IRS requires you to anticipate your tax and pay tax through withholding, Estimated Tax Payments, or a combination of both.

If your paycheck withholding covers your tax, then you don't need to make any other payments.

Learn more about Estimated Tax on the IRS website.

@lanebailey1244 

The estimates are optional to pay. They don't get sent to the IRS with your return so they won't be expecting them. If you are receiving a refund or low tax due and Turbo Tax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year like if you took a IRA or 401k distribution. You can ignore them if you want. They are just a suggestion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies