Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Brailee

I don’t have my w2 forms

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PS25

I don’t have my w2 forms

You have a couple of options - none are easy, but can be used.
1) Contact your employer, request another copy.
2) If you have your last paycheck stub for the year, and year-to-date amounts are printed there, use those while preparing the return. Ask your former employer for the company's EIN (employer identification number.)
3) At irs.gov, create your online account, and review your Wage & Income transcript for the tax-year in question. Assuming the employer filed the required reporting, the report will include information that appeared on the W-2 which the employer was required to provide. (The employer name and EIN are however abbreviated to reduce the chance that this information could be used for fraudulent filing of a tax return in your name.)

JulieS
Expert Alumni

I don’t have my w2 forms

If you have contacted your employer to get copies of your W-2 forms and they will not provide a copy, you need to report that to the IRS. 

Click here to learn more. 

After you do that, they will contact your employer and request that they provide you a copy. 

Next, the IRS will send you instructions for filing a substitute W2 on Form 4852. To do that in TurboTax:

1. Select Federal on the left side menu.
  2. Select Wages and Income toward upper left.
  3. Click Edit or Add to the right of Job (W2).
  4. If you worked for this employer last year, select the W2 entry that rolled over from last year. If you didn't work for them last year, select Add W2.
  5. Enter your W2 information as completely as you can.
  6. On the question, Let's check for uncommon situations, select the third choice, Didn't get a W-2 (manually calculate my earnings).
  7. Select Continue.
  8. Complete the next few screens. 
  9. When you get to Your substitute W-2 is ready to print, be sure to print and/ or save a copy for your records.

Please note you will be able to print and mail in your tax return with a substitute W2 statement, but you won't be able to e-file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies