Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax automatically put me into the free edition when I signed in to my account for 2018 and I will not qualify. I want to switch to Premier but do not see how.

I have used Turbo tax for 5 years and need the Premier. I never wanted the free but it put me there and I can't get out.  I don't want to lose the carryover of my 2017 info and I need to be able to do things like import from financial institutions.  What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo Tax automatically put me into the free edition when I signed in to my account for 2018 and I will not qualify. I want to switch to Premier but do not see how.

If you do not see an upgrade option when you log in then you are using the FREE FILE thru the IRS ...  

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Did you log in thru the IRS FREE FILE program ?  

I didn’t think I did.
swacks

The EXACT same thing happened to me and I'm not having any luck getting it resolved.  I don't want to lose the link to my prior year taxes either.

If you do not see an upgrade option when you log in then you are using the FREE FILE thru the IRS ...  

Is there anyway to undo that and get back to regular Turbo tax? Seems absurd if you can’t.

Yes ... you must start from scratch by opening a new account ... pick an option here and do NOT log in using any userID you already have ...  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>

Which means I lose all 2017 info correct?

Yep ... this was done a couple of years ago ... the IRS insisted that if you could not use the TT free file option that you are brought back to the FREE FILE choices to possible pick another free file company ... the upgrade function was shut off for good.   You were lucky that you could use the free file option for as long as you did.  

If you can download the .tax2017 file to your computer from the prior year account then you may be able to transfer that to the 2018 program.  

@Critter#2 could you import 1099 to Free File (Tax Freedom) before?  

Maybe.

Thanks for your
Help.

This is overly frustrating and really not cool at all!! I have used the same TurboTax account for over 10 years!!! I don't want to have a new one and want everything to transfer on its own. This is a disaster, especially considering all the changes this year!?!

It is a disgrace
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies