Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zitotczito
Returning Member

I did noI did not make any estimated taxes for 2023 and the program asks if I want PA to compute the penalty and I answered the question with a "No." Nothing happens after that but the 1630 shows in the forms section. How can I have TT fill out the form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I did noI did not make any estimated taxes for 2023 and the program asks if I want PA to compute the penalty and I answered the question with a "No." Nothing happens after that but the 1630 shows in the forms section. How can I have TT fill out the form?

The form is filled out as soon as TurboTax sees that you have an underpayment.  Then after you say no, you will be asked a few more questions to determine if you meet any of the exceptions to the penalty. such as qualifying for 100% tax forgiveness in the prior year.

If you select yes, that you want PA to calculate the penalty for you, then you will see your PA amount due decrease. 

If you look at line 16 of the 1630 you will see the amount of interest, which is also included on line 27 of your PA-40.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zitotczito
Returning Member

Thanks Vanessa, I have already filed my Federal return and have to file a mail return because SS and other retirement income is not taxable so I have to send in 1099's. I went through the PA state return and printed it to file and then realized I did not have a completed 1630 and I can not get TT to ask me the questions you are referring to. Can I delete all the state forms manually and TT would then let me do that. Or is it possible to begin a new PA return with getting rid of the Federal return?

zitotczito
Returning Member

Also there a selection on the drop down file that says "remove state return." Can I use this selection and the start the state return again?

Thanks

zitotczito
Returning Member

Well I removed the state return and went through it again and now the 1630 is gone altogether and I can't get it back. I am at a loss and note that I am not eligible for any exceptions.

Thanks

zitotczito
Returning Member

Well I got the 1630 back but still uncompleted.

Thanks

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You can either choose to have Pennsylvania figure any estimated tax penalty for you, or you can complete the Underpayment Penalty questionnaire in the state section of TurboTax when it comes up. You don't have to complete the Form 1630.

If you later receive a notice about an underpayment penalty from PA, you will have the opportunity to respond if you don't agree with their calculation.

Each state has its own laws regarding estimated taxes. In Pennsylvania, estimated underpayment penalty (interest) is imposed on taxpayers who fail to make estimated payments or fail to make timely estimated payments. Estimated underpayment penalty is calculated on PA forms REV-1630, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, REV-1630A, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individual Farmers, and REV-1630F, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Fiduciaries. Estimated underpayment penalty is calculated on the amount of underpayment for each installment period multiplied by both the daily interest rate for the tax year (and the succeeding tax year if applicable) and the number days unpaid or paid late. See here for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies