eltonphoprom

I claim 0 on dependents. I made 40,000 and I’m only receiving 530 in returns federal and state. My co workers are telling me that I should be getting more. Im 22

DawnC

Your refund is dependent on many factors; you have listed only 2 of them.  After reviewing your W-2 entries, print out your tax return and look at line 16 which is the total tax you owe.  Compare that to what is in Box 2 of your W-2 which is the income taxes you paid.   

If you are not receiving the refund you expected, you may want to give your employer an updated W-4 form.  The W-4 is what determines the amounts withheld from your paycheck which directly affects your refund amount.   See this article for more information - Form W-4 and Your Take-Home Pay.

Did you have other taxable income  besides wages?