Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jim_b15
Returning Member

I chose to use Direct Debit for paying my 2023 Federal tax bill. What happens to Estimated Payments? Do I still mail them to the IRS?

I found it unclear in TurboTax's description.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I chose to use Direct Debit for paying my 2023 Federal tax bill. What happens to Estimated Payments? Do I still mail them to the IRS?

You can make estimated tax payments in a variety of ways. The old way was to mail the 1040-ES with a check each quarter to the IRS.

However, now you can go to "Make a Payment" at the IRS website and pay online. Note that you may have to drill down on the website, but eventually you will be able to see where you make estimated tax payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jim_b15
Returning Member

Thanks, Bill. I didn't state my question very clearly, so I should rephrase it. Since I gave the IRS access to my bank account with the Direct Debit feature through TurboTax to pay my 2023 tax bill, is the IRS going to use their Direct Debit access to take the quarterly 2024 Estimated Tax payments out of my account? I don't want to make each payment twice!

No you have to pay the estimates on your own.  The post above was the correct answer.  

jim_b15
Returning Member

Thanks, Bill. I didn't state my question very clearly, so I should rephrase it. Since I gave the IRS access to my bank account with the Direct Debit feature through TurboTax to pay my 2023 tax bill, is the IRS going to use their Direct Debit access to take the quarterly 2024 Estimated Tax payments out of my account? I don't want to make each payment twice!

jim_b15
Returning Member

Thanks, Bill. Sorry for the double Reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies