Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bevans2

I buy parts to assemble a product to be sold. if the parts I bought to make the product exceed the profit made from sales is that considered a nol ?

I buy parts to manufacture a product, which I then sell. If the parts I bought to produce the product exceed the profit made from selling the product this year is that considered a nol ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I buy parts to assemble a product to be sold. if the parts I bought to make the product exceed the profit made from sales is that considered a nol ?

NO ... you cannot have an NOL on a Sch C but you could operate at a loss which may or may not cause an NOL on the form 1040.   These are not the same concepts even though they share the word "loss". 

a side issue is that if you have continued losses the activity could be deemed a hobby which would make the income taxable and the expense non-deductible.  this is refutable but the burden would be on you. IRC section 183

If the gross income derived from an activity for 3 or more of the taxable years in the period of 5 consecutive taxable years which ends with the taxable year exceeds the deductions attributable to such activity (determined without regard to whether or not such activity is engaged in for profit), then, unless the Secretary establishes to the contrary, such activity shall be presumed for purposes of this chapter for such taxable year to be an activity engaged in for profit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies