Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdp702

I bought an iPad for consulting work. I received a 1099-misc for the work. Can I deduct the cost of the iPad and if so, where?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I bought an iPad for consulting work. I received a 1099-misc for the work. Can I deduct the cost of the iPad and if so, where?

Yes.  If you use the Ipad in your business, you can deduct it.

If you received a 1099-Misc. for consulting, you will need to file a Schedule C.  On Schedule C, you will have an opportunity to list business expenses. You can list the Ipad in this section.  

One note, if you use the Ipad for personal use too, the IRS expects you to only list the amount of the cost that relates to the percentage you use it in your business.

For example, you paid $500 and you use it half the time then only half of the $500 is deductible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieH1

Yes.  If you use the Ipad in your business, you can deduct it.

If you received a 1099-Misc. for consulting, you will need to file a Schedule C.  On Schedule C, you will have an opportunity to list business expenses. You can list the Ipad in this section.  

One note, if you use the Ipad for personal use too, the IRS expects you to only list the amount of the cost that relates to the percentage you use it in your business.

For example, you paid $500 and you use it half the time then only half of the $500 is deductible.

bdp702

Very helpful! Thank you!
JulieH1

So glad.  You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies