Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jickky91

I am working under a J1 visa. I will be resigning from my job and returning back to my home country. I would like to know how will I be able to file my taxes next year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I am working under a J1 visa. I will be resigning from my job and returning back to my home country. I would like to know how will I be able to file my taxes next year.

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

[Edited: 2 years, not 5]

Unless you have been in the US more than 5 years, As a J-1, if you have been in the US 2 years or less, you are considered a non-resident alien and file a form 1040-NR that only reports your US-source income and does not report any other world-wide income.  That won't change in 2024, you will continue to file a 1040-NR and only report your US-source income.  Whether you also owe tax in your home country is up to the laws of that country.

If you have been in the US more than 2 years and are considered a US-resident for tax purposes, you would be a dual-status alien for 2024.  There are special rules for dual-status aliens, and special rules that apply in your exit year.  Let us know if that applies to you and I will locate the best expert on that topic.  But for a regular J-1 less than 2 years, your tax position won't change. 

jickky91

Thanks for the reply. I am under the J1 visa but have been in the US for 4 years. Since I am returning back to my home country in 2 months, I will not be around for the entirety of the taxable year. I plan on not returning to the US after I leave, hence I will be closing my bank accounts and will not have a physical address. Is there a way for my to file a 'short year' version?

@jickky91 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am under the J1 visa but have been in the US for 4 years. Since I am returning back to my home country in 2 months, I will not be around for the entirety of the taxable year. I plan on not returning to the US after I leave, hence I will be closing my bank accounts and will not have a physical address. Is there a way for my to file a 'short year' version?

You would be dual-status for your exit year.  Essentially, that means filing a resident return for the period of time you are a resident, and a non-resident return for the period of time after you leave (but you only need the NR return if you have US source income after you leave).  But there are some extra rules for your exit year.  Let me ask the expert.

@pk

As far as bank accounts are concerned, if you want to use Turbotax, you need a US bank account and a US credit card, and as far as any tax refund you expect, the IRS will only do direct deposit into a US bank (or they will mail a paper check).  So you may want to keep a US bank account and US credit card open for a while after you leave.  At the very least, you should investigate banking options in your home country or contact the US Consulate in your home country before you close all your US accounts, to make sure you understand your banking options and have a workable solution ready to go. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jickky91  agreeing with my colleague @Opus 17  for his quite complete response, I would like to know  three other bits of info. please--

(a) which country are you from ( this is because there may be tax treaty considerations )?

(b) Are you single or married and if married, to whom ( IUS person or another Alien )?

(c)  Is your date od departure fixed or is it possible to move -- I ask because  in case  of part-year resident i.e. dual status filer -- 1.  you will need to file by mail ( because of 1040-NR limitation ) and 2. you cannot use standard deduction -- must use itemized and therefore you tax liability mostly will in crease.

I very strongly recommend the suggestion by @Opus 17  that you maintain a bank account, US credit Card and hopefully an US address ( wherein someone can let you know if you have mail from the IRS/State ) ---- at least till the 2024 filing is completely done ( i.e. you have filed, been processed and refunds/ liabilities settled).

Also if you have a lot of assets  that are US sourced or immoveable, there  may be implications.

I will circle back once I hear from you --yes ?

jickky91

Below are the answers to your questions:

(a) I am from Singapore (no tax treaty)

(b) Married. She is here under a J2 for the past 3.5 years and has been working under an EAD.

(c) Date of departure is fixed and can't be moved. I will not be earning US-based income once I move back to my home country

* I have no US-based assets

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jickky91  thank you very much for your response.

Assuming that "in two months" means sometime in November, you really have two choices:

(a)   Choice -1          Since  you  both have J visa  and according to this IRS page  Departing alien clearance (Sailing Permit) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov), you are exempt  from needing to file 1040-C, you only need to let the Immigration    (UCIS )  know  that you are  exiting the country -- form I-94 and terminating your J visa.  By cancelling your visa  in November  and leaving the country , you  will end up with the need to  file a 1040-NR for that one month  to keep your foreign earnings  out of your  US World income.  But by this you also will lose the capability to use standard  deduction and therefore increase in tax liability.  This will need form 1040 and form 1040-NR ( not supported by TurboTax ).

(b) Choice-2  you either delay your departure  or filing of the immigration notice  till  Dec 31st.  This will allow you to use the standard deduction and thus reduce your tax burden, and the need for "dual status"  i.e.. no 1040-NR required.

Only you can decide which path  benefits you more  ( taxwise ).

Is there more I can do for you ?

jickky91

For choice 2, is it possible to delay the filing of the immigration notice to after leaving the US?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jickky91  of course you can  --  you need to work with your employer ---  you keep your resignation submitted but effective Only after the end of the year  -- Your J-1 terminates once the  employer  accepts that you are no longer an employee and you have left the country.  You have thirty days  of stay in the USA  after your J termination. .  So if you cannot  change your day of exiting the country, you have to  exit as if  you plan to come back i.e. your  resignation is not in effect ( even though the employer knows you do plan to terminate.   Have no idea if your employer would co-operate -- it is a bit of going on a limb, but the benefit may be worth it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies