Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xaviernj
Returning Member

I am trying to do a 1040X. I select the tax year and information fills in column A, BUT I am unable to enter the data needed in column B etc. what is the issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I am trying to do a 1040X. I select the tax year and information fills in column A, BUT I am unable to enter the data needed in column B etc. what is the issue?

Ok ... so you start the amendment process using one of the downloaded versions ... and after you do the original data is put into column A.  Now you need to make the changes needed in the step by step mode.  Once you have done that and completed the review tab the program will produce a completed 1040X and the filing/mailing instructions.   Follow the screen instructions to complete the process.  

Of course you "can" switch to the FORMS mode and make direct line entries  HOWEVER doing so voids the accuracy guarantee and may not complete the return correctly.  

xaviernj
Returning Member

Didn't work, but I greatly appreciate your response.  here's what happened:

1.  i opened my saved return

2.  clicked "forms" searched for 1040x and then opened it.  

3.  Clicked my tax year and also the toggle for lines 1-23, which filled out all the column A's.

4.  I then selected  "Easy step".  --THIS IS WHEN I HAD PROBLEMS.  IT ERASED ALL OF MY PRIOR FEDERAL TAX REFUND INFO.

the help i need is very specific steps with extreme detail. 

If you are Not going to use the Step-by-Step interview to amend the tax return and open the 1040X in Forms mode, selecting the tax year for the amended returns as the exact same tax year as the TurboTax software you are using and then check the box to Calculate Lines 1-23, the amounts in Column B will have to be overridden since the software is designed for you to enter the new tax data for Column B in the Step-by-Step interview and not directly on the 1040X.

To Override a value - put the cursor in the box to be overridden.  Right click and select Override.  Any calculated value that is overridden voids the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee.

Or - Do not select Lines 1-23 and you can then fill in both Columns A and B manually.

@xaviernj wrote:

Didn't work, but I greatly appreciate your response.  here's what happened:

1.  i opened my saved return

2.  clicked "forms" searched for 1040x and then opened it.  

3.  Clicked my tax year and also the toggle for lines 1-23, which filled out all the column A's.

4.  I then selected  "Easy step".  --THIS IS WHEN I HAD PROBLEMS.  IT ERASED ALL OF MY PRIOR FEDERAL TAX REFUND INFO.

the help i need is very specific steps with extreme detail. 

The way to do that is by using the interview mode, not the forms mode.   Many entries are NOT user entries on the forms themselves, but comes form other forms or worksheets.   You should only use the forms mode to troubleshoot or enter data if you know exactally what you are doing and what forms and worksheets populate other forms.  

The forms mode does not have "specific steps" - that is what the step-by-step mode is for.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
xaviernj
Returning Member

The override function does not come up no matter what column i choose (A, B or C.  What I am doing, is i go into Forms, search for 1040X, open that form, click 2018, and then select 1-23, no option to override using right click.

I do appreciate your help.

xaviernj
Returning Member

Thank you, BUT, I need the form, otherwise I will have to enter in many stock transactions, where I only want to enter the column B numbers  

Are you using Windows or Mac?  If Mac, then there is no "right-click".  Mac override is  Top menu bar -> Edit -> Override the selected field.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
xaviernj
Returning Member

it's a mac.  also, i believe I may need Premier (I am using Deluxe) as I cannot see an easy way to import the 1099-B, which would make this amendment much easier.

Importing a form 1099-B for tax year 2018 is no longer available using TurboTax since the TurboTax partners who provide the forms for importing shut down the import function after the current tax year ends.

@xaviernj wrote:

it's a mac.  also, i believe I may need Premier (I am using Deluxe) as I cannot see an easy way to import the 1099-B, which would make this amendment much easier.

The only difference between Deluxe and Premier is that Premier has more "hand-holding" in the interview, otherwise the forms are the same.     

2018 (and earlier) import is no longer available.   At this time, manual entry is the only way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies