Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am trying to claim my mom as a dependent because I pay over 80% of her bills and housing. She had insurance through Marketplace at the time but I have to pay it back?

When I add her 1095-A to my tax return, its saying I have a $3k payback amount, but it wasn't my insurance.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I am trying to claim my mom as a dependent because I pay over 80% of her bills and housing. She had insurance through Marketplace at the time but I have to pay it back?

If you are claiming her as a dependent, the Premium Tax Credit is based on your income instead of her income.  Basically, the IRS is saying if you are claiming someone as a dependent, then you are responsible for their health insurance as well.  

So depending on your income, your filing status with and without claiming her compared to the $3,000 you have to pay back of the Premium Tax Credit, you may find it better not to claim her.  You can remove her from your return and see what your numbers look like compared to what they look like with her on the return.

If you are married filing jointly or head of household because you have other dependents, your only benefit for claiming her is the $500 Non-Refundable Other Dependent Credit unless you are itemizing and she has a large amount of medical expenses.  Medical expenses are only deductible in excess of 7.5% of your AGI and the total of your itemized expenses would need to be greater than your standard deduction.

How to Reconcile Your Premium Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies