Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crlboy94

I am stuck in free file and the only option given was to make a new account.

I have used Turbo Tax online for years. This year I was about to finish and file when I thought "Hey lets see if there is a discount that can be applied.". I ended up on the IRS free file site. Saw the Turbo Tax option and clicked it where I was re-routed back to Turbo Tax's site. There was a message saying I didn't qualify and I clicked the provided back button and continued with my e-filing. I began to click continue to get through everything, and then it displayed that it was ordered and under review for $0. Which shouldn't be the case since I did not qualify for that price option. Now my account is locked, unable to upgrade it to a different version of turbo tax. I am unable to get to my previous years files.

There must be something that can be done on turbo tax's end to roll back my account or restore it to before this was lock and error took place. I don't mind having to re-enter my tax information but if I have to make a new account and/or jump through hoops to get my previous information restored I may as well find another option to use in that case.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

I am stuck in free file and the only option given was to make a new account.

If your account is locked, you can try to Go to our account recovery page.

You can search the TurboTax product you want to use and then select a paid version of the software. Then select the product you used on TurboTax last year, then you get a warning that you're switching off of the free product to the commercial software then it will let you continue.

See this link and select what you want to use: TurboTax Products and Pricing

To now use a TurboTax product, you would have to clear and start over because the Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies