Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webersandi

I am so confused. I keep reading that the money I received for foster care placement is non taxable income. However, I received a 1099-misc for this money.

When I add it to wages, I lose over $600 in my refund.  So, how do I add it as nontaxable income?  Also, where can I claim expenses for the foster care placement?  Some of the money on the 1099-misc was reimbursement for purchases I made for the child.  Thank you.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NancyG

I am so confused. I keep reading that the money I received for foster care placement is non taxable income. However, I received a 1099-misc for this money.

Foster care payments are non-taxable.  Do not enter the 1099-Misc if you receive one.

Internal Revenue Bulletin:  2014-4 

Section 131(a) excludes qualified foster care payments from the gross income of a foster care provider.

Section 131(b)(1) defines a qualified foster care payment, in part, as any payment under a foster care program of a state or a political subdivision that is either (1) paid to the foster care provider for caring for a qualified foster individual in the foster care provider’s home, or (2) a difficulty of care payment. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NancyG

Foster care payments are non-taxable.  Do not enter the 1099-Misc if you receive one.

Internal Revenue Bulletin:  2014-4 

Section 131(a) excludes qualified foster care payments from the gross income of a foster care provider.

Section 131(b)(1) defines a qualified foster care payment, in part, as any payment under a foster care program of a state or a political subdivision that is either (1) paid to the foster care provider for caring for a qualified foster individual in the foster care provider’s home, or (2) a difficulty of care payment. 

tinagraves4

Won't this open me up for a audit by not reporting and explaining why I am not claiming the money on the 1099?

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v