Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am now a Resident alien for tax purposes and I was given a 1042s and a 1098t from my uni

Hello, I am now considered a resident alien for tax purposes. From Jan 2021 to Dec 2021, I was on a uni fellowship and given a stipend. Being international, my stipend allowance was taxed. 

I have a Form 1042s and a Form 1098t. 

I talked to my uni payroll for help and they amended my Form 1042s to 'remove the gross amount and reflect that you should not have this income subject to Federal 1042 Withholding'. So my form 1042s box 2 gross income is blank now. My form 1042s is income code 16, 3a exemption code 00, 4a exemption code 15, and in 7a Federal tax withheld is $$$$. 

1) For the 7a amount of 'federal tax withheld' on the form, I plan to report it using 'Wages and income/Less common income/ Miscellaneous income/ other reportable income/ other taxable income' and entered 1042s income with the $$$$ value.

2) For my 1098t, I fill it in Deductions and Credits.

I was then asked about receiving a 'third stimulus payment of $1400' and a Letter 6475, both of which I did not, so I said 'no' and '0' for no payment received. From this all, I will be getting $$$$ back on my federal tax return which concerns me, and I want to make sure I entered everything right. Would appreciate help. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I am now a Resident alien for tax purposes and I was given a 1042s and a 1098t from my uni

For the 1042-S income, you mention there was none. So there would be nothing to enter in the "Less Common Income" "Other Reportable Income" section.  You also mention if there were income it was coded 16 and therefore "Scholarship/Fellowship" funds.  

Form 1042-S income coded 16 would be entered in the "Education" topic as "Scholarships" not reported on a 1098-T.

To enter the federal taxes withheld amount from your 1042-S you will use the "Estimates and other taxes paid" topic in the "Deductions & Credits" tab.  

1. Click on Deductions & Credits
  2. Click Show more to the right of Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Click on Income Taxes Paid
  4. Scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2021
  5. Click on Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

For the stimulus payments received, you have entered correctly.  Since you did not receive the $1400 third round payment then it is added to your return as a fully refundable Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

For the 1042-S income, you mention there was none. So there would be nothing to enter in the "Less Common Income" "Other Reportable Income" section.  You also mention if there were income it was coded 16 and therefore "Scholarship/Fellowship" funds.  

Form 1042-S income coded 16 would be entered in the "Education" topic as "Scholarships" not reported on a 1098-T.

To enter the federal taxes withheld amount from your 1042-S you will use the "Estimates and other taxes paid" topic in the "Deductions & Credits" tab.  

1. Click on Deductions & Credits
  2. Click Show more to the right of Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  3. Click on Income Taxes Paid
  4. Scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2021
  5. Click on Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099

For the stimulus payments received, you have entered correctly.  Since you did not receive the $1400 third round payment then it is added to your return as a fully refundable Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies