Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am married military and expecting a kid while deployed. Can I file my taxes after April? And will my child be added if she is born in May?

I am set to come back late April or May
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am married military and expecting a kid while deployed. Can I file my taxes after April? And will my child be added if she is born in May?

No.  You are preparing a 2022 tax return.  You cannot claim a child who has not yet been born on a 2022 tax return no matter when you file it.  Next year when you file your 2023 return you can claim your child.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Military members on active duty outside of the U.S. or Puerto Rico qualify for an automatic two-month extension — no need to file Form 4868. This pushes the filing deadline back to June 15. To receive this extension, you must attach a statement to your tax return explaining your situation and how you qualify. But, if you owe tax, the IRS will still charge interest and late payment penalties from the regular due date onward.

You can only claim the child for the tax year the child was born although Georgia allows this for the pregnant woman and legislation is being discussed to allow that country wide. That is not the law currently. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies