I am filing my deceased father's tax return. He is...

danetaxes2019

I am filing my deceased father's tax return. He is single, and I have completed the form however he is eligible for a refund. how can the refund be received?

I have completed the turbo tax filing information for my dad, however I am unsure how to go about receiving the tax return that he would be owed. There is will or court ordered representative so by default I am his representative. If I request the proceeds by check, would they be made out to his estate? How is a check like this cashed? Because he has very little assets, by state law there is no probate or anything official. Thank you.
DawnC

If the decedent is due a refund of any individual income tax (Form 1040), you may claim that refund using IRS Form 1310, Statement of a Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.   

File IRS Form 1310 if you want to claim the tax refund for a decedent return (that is, a return filed on the behalf of a deceased taxpayer).  Before you can get to the form, make sure you've entered the decedent's date of passing on the Do any of these apply to [taxpayer]? screen. You can go back to the My Info section and step through the taxpayer's screens again to make sure the date was entered.

After you've filled out the return, search for form 1310 inside TurboTax and select the Jump to link. You'll come to the Let's see if you need to file Form 1310 screen. Answer Yes and follow the instructions.

We'll give you the option of paper-filing the form by itself or including it with the decedent's return when filed.  

Related Information:

I am very sorry for your loss.  :( 

danetaxes2019

Thank you. As far as receiving the return, do I have it deposited into my bank or do I need to establish a second bank account in the name of the estate?

danetaxes2019

I realized I did not respond to your response with this question. There is no court appointment of a personal representative so the bank will not set up a bank estate account. Do I receive these funds made out to me? Or deposited in my own personal bank account?