dyman2128

I am claiming my son who just turned 19. He had gambling winnings of $1,900, he had no other income for the year. Do I have to claim that as my income?

TomD8

No, do not put your son's gambling winnings on your return.  That is his income, not yours.  The fact that you're claiming him as a dependent makes no difference.  Normally with that amount of winnings he would receive a Form W-2G.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

dyman2128

He received a W-2G so if he doesn't file taxes, we don't do anything with that form?
TomD8

If that $1900 is his total income for 2016, he wouldn't be required to file a federal return.  However, if the W-2G shows federal taxes withheld, your son would have to file a return in order to get them refunded.  If he does file, make sure he indicates on his return that someone else can claim him as a dependent.  Note that your state filing requirements may be different.