turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am attempting to file jointly with my wife, but our child tax credit isn't coming on, states it is being claimed by another. How can I fix this?

You did not qualify for the Child and Other Dependents Tax Credit because your kid is being claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return. To qualify for the credit, a dependent must meet the qualifications to be claimed by you. Since another individual is claiming them as their dependent, they do not meet the qualifications to be claimed by you, which is why you were ineligible for the Child and Other Dependents Tax Credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am attempting to file jointly with my wife, but our child tax credit isn't coming on, states it is being claimed by another. How can I fix this?

You have to mail your return with an explanation that you have the right to claim the children. Did your children file their own return without checking the box saying someone else can claim them?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to e-file your return if your dependent is being claimed by someone else.  You usually can't claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit for a nondependent child.

Check to make sure you have the correct Social Security number on your tax return for your dependent.

If you know who claimed your dependent, you will need to ask them to amend their tax return and remove the dependent. Or if your dependent child filed their own tax return and claimed themselves a dependent, they will need to amend their tax return. This amendment process can take awhile, which is why it's best to paper-file your return in the meantime.

If they will not amend their tax return, the IRS will eventually contact you to determine who can rightfully claim the dependent. The person that is disallowed the claim will be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest that may be due because of the false claim.

To help prevent fraudulent returns, the IRS will only accept a dependent's SSN once in their e-file system. If the return claiming your dependent was filed first and used your dependent's SSN, no further e-files using that SSN will be accepted. 

You will have to  print, sign and mail your tax return to the IRS. Your tax return will be accepted if you paper file.

Click here for detailed instructions on how to file a claim for your dependent.  This (Form 886-H-DEPPDF) provides a comprehensive list of supporting documentation to assist in resolving your case if necessary.

Click here for "What if Somebody Already Claimed my Dependent?"

Click here for information on the Child and Dependent Care tax credit.

Click here for additional information on the Child and Dependent Care Tax credit.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You haven't filed yet, right?  Then the IRS is not rejecting your return for that.  Go back to My Info and check the answers for the child.  You may have answered one wrong.  It asks if anyone or a relative helps support them.  Or if someone else will claim them.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies