Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am apparently required to pay AMT this year. Never happened before and none of the common reasons for AMT apply to me. More info please.

I am single, no kids, no mortgage, no capital gains, no stock options. My income went up significantly and I may have high withholdings (not sure) - so this is the most likely culprit.  Would you please explain?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am apparently required to pay AMT this year. Never happened before and none of the common reasons for AMT apply to me. More info please.

More and more people are getting assessed with the Alternative Minimum Tax.  If your income went up a bit, then that's possibly a cause.

It would be worth it to preview your return.  Go to Form 6251, the form that the tax is figured on to see if you fit into any of the categories.  Also, see the attachment below and the Interactive Tax Assistant for more.

Alternative Minimum Tax Interactive Tax Assistant 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

More and more people are getting assessed with the Alternative Minimum Tax.  If your income went up a bit, then that's possibly a cause.

It would be worth it to preview your return.  Go to Form 6251, the form that the tax is figured on to see if you fit into any of the categories.  Also, see the attachment below and the Interactive Tax Assistant for more.

Alternative Minimum Tax Interactive Tax Assistant 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies