Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a nurse. I currently work at a school and a hospital. Last year I had W-2s. This year I will add a 1099 contracted position to my work life. How will this effect me?

I file quarterly for the independent contractor work, and annually for my W-2 positions? Does TurboTax handle complicated taxes like this? I'm thinking of using Quickbooks for invoices and expenses. Thank you for your help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I am a nurse. I currently work at a school and a hospital. Last year I had W-2s. This year I will add a 1099 contracted position to my work life. How will this effect me?

I file quarterly for the independent contractor work, and annually for my W-2 positions? You pay your taxes quarterly based on estimates.  You will enter your independent contractor work and your W2 on the same 1040 at the end of the year.  The company you are acting as an independent contractor for will issue you a 1099-NEC that you will report on your return which will generate a Schedule C for you.  This will then flow to your 1040. 

Does TurboTax handle complicated taxes like this? Yes

I'm thinking of using Quickbooks for invoices and expenses  Good Idea

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your help!

Do you have any tips for me or anything else that you think I should know? I appreciate any advice you can give. I will purchase Quickbooks Self-Employed, as I believe this will greatly help keep track of miles and receipts, and invoices. Do you know if the add on Turbotax will file both Fed and State? Thanks again!!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Just keep track of everything you spend and filing next season will be a breeze. Actually, QuickBooks self employed has a mileage feature that will let you choose the miles that are personal vs for work. You can use this, but it wouldn't hurt to keep a paper log if you are that organized. 

If you are doing travel nursing, you may have to file a return for the state you are traveling to as a nonresident, if it is not a state that doesn't have income taxes. 

Yes, TurboTax will handle the state part of the return as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you SO much!! Have a wonderful day! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies