Solved: I am a full-time student and my parents are not claiming me. Why do I have to say "YES" they can claim me if they have agreed not to? It's $100 less on MI state return

I am a full-time student and my parents are not claiming me. Why do I have to say "YES" they can claim me if they have agreed not to? It's $100 less on MI state return

My parents are not claiming me and I get more money back if I say "NO" nobody else can claim me.   Why should I have to say yes, if they agreed not to claim me?

You do not have a choice. The IRS rules must be followed.

If they CAN claim you under the rules, but choose not to, you still cannot "claim yourself." The law is written that way.

Thank you....I guess it guards from double claiming, but it makes no sense to me.

Furthermore, I find it interesting that it does not affect the federal return, but lowers that state return.