Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a full-time student and my parents are not claiming me. Why do I have to say "YES" they can claim me if they have agreed not to? It's $100 less on MI state return

My parents are not claiming me and I get more money back if I say "NO" nobody else can claim me.   Why should I have to say yes, if they agreed not to claim me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a full-time student and my parents are not claiming me. Why do I have to say "YES" they can claim me if they have agreed not to? It's $100 less on MI state return

You do not have a choice. The IRS rules must be followed.

If they CAN claim you under the rules, but choose not to, you still cannot "claim yourself." The law is written that way.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You do not have a choice. The IRS rules must be followed.

If they CAN claim you under the rules, but choose not to, you still cannot "claim yourself." The law is written that way.

Thank you....I guess it guards from double claiming, but it makes no sense to me.

Furthermore, I find it interesting that it does not affect the federal return, but lowers that state return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies