Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filled out 2018 extension form and have PDF file of it. How do I upload and file it?

I have a .PDF of the 2018 Tax Extension Form 4868 and have already entered the values for the applicable boxes. Everywhere I go online tries to make me redo the forms and answer these long questionnaires in order to file the form. How do I skip all of the time consuming questions and just file the dang form? Even on the it's website it says I can file for free through the "IRS Free Form" page but the only two options are a new PDF file of the form I already have filled out or to select from a list of online free extension websites that redirect to the afore mentioned questionnaires! I'm losing my mind here and am tired of hunting wild geese. Please someone just tell me where to upload the PDF and file it so I can be done with it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GaryG1
Intuit Alumni

I already filled out 2018 extension form and have PDF file of it. How do I upload and file it?

There are basically 2 options for filing your 4868 form, efile the extenition with a number of IRS partners (including turbotax), or mail in the the 4868 form.

You cannot electronically upload the pdf to "efile" it.  It may be easier just to mail it in to one of the centers specified on the form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies