Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tdd2

Husband died in Dec 2022. Received a 1099-R for him for 2023 that I need to pay taxes on. How do I do this since he died in 2022 and final taxes were paid last year?

I can't seem to file as MFJ since his death date is Dec 2022, so I can't figure out how to pay this last tax bill of his.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Husband died in Dec 2022. Received a 1099-R for him for 2023 that I need to pay taxes on. How do I do this since he died in 2022 and final taxes were paid last year?

This income will be included on your tax return.  The form indicates the amount was paid in 2023, after death,  which means it cannot be entered into his final return (or your 2022 joint return). You must file single in the year following the year of death if you do not have dependent children on your return.

Please accept my sympathies for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tdd2

Thank you!  How will the IRS reconcile this tax debt tied to his SSN, but filed with mine?  He had an outstanding loan against his 401k when he died.  Again, thank you so much. This answer has pointed me in a direction that makes sense.

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

According to Publication 559 Survivors, Executors, and Administrators:

Any income received in a year after the final return was filed,  should be reported on the return of the person or entity that received the income. These could include:

• The decedent's estate, if the estate receives it.
  • The beneficiary, if the right to income is passed directly to the beneficiary and the beneficiary receives it.
  • Any person to whom the estate properly distributes the right to receive it. 

The IRS will know that you are the beneficiary so report the income as your own on your tax return. 

@tracidawndavis 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies