Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lip2003
Returning Member

HSA Issues

My husband and I work under the same company however we are in two completely different sectors, which are not associated with one another.  We both have separate insurance plans. He has the family plan, which covers our son. I have a self plan for me only. We each have our own HSA account. He has a family HSA, I have a single HSA. As we have always done, we file jointly. However, this year, TurboTax is indicating we have excessive contributions as the program is combing our HSA accounts as one family account. This is wrong as we are completely separate, in regards to insurance and HSA accounts.

We are allowed to have separate HSA plans, which fall under different insurance policies, so I am not sure what the issue is. Please help. 

If I receive an answer that indicates this is the way it has always been, then I am very disappointed in TurboTax for not indicating that we have gone over each year and were calculating the additional 6% without us knowing. As this is the first year, excessive contributions have popped up.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

HSA Issues

When you report your HSA contributions, be sure you indicate the correct spouse the HSA is for. For an example.  You would create two HSA contributions, one for each spouse. This is the most common error i have seen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lip2003
Returning Member

HSA Issues

I have verified I did this correct. This did not fix the issue. Thank you!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

HSA Issues

I did some additional research and found this article written.  It states that The maximum annual HSA contribution limit for a married couple if one spouse has family HDHP coverage and the other spouse has self-only HDHP coverage is the limit for family coverage. If the family maximum contribution coverage is $7300, any additional contribution is considered an excess contribution. This also is confirmed in IRS Publication 969 if either spouse has family HDHP coverage, both spouses are treated as having family HDHP coverage subject to the maximum contribution limit.

To give you a further insight, since both of you are treated as one on the family plan, these means in reality that each of you have contributed $3650 to the family plan thus reached your limit for individual contributions. Any additional contribution to any HSA plan is considered excessive at this point.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HSA Issues

between the two HSA accounts the maximum is $7300 split any way you want. if either or both are over 55 they can contribute an extra $1K to their HSA. put another way you can not contribute $7300 to a family plan HSA and $3650 to a self-only HSA in the same year. that exceeds the maximum allowed of $7300 for a family. you have 2 days to withdraw the excess or pay a potential penalty.  since it seems your w-2 wages box 1 were reduced a total of $10,950 you will see an add-back of $3650 to taxable income schedule 1 line 8f

lip2003
Returning Member

HSA Issues

Thank you for taking the time to help us! 

lip2003
Returning Member

HSA Issues

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies