Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA & HDHP for married filing jointly

The more I read through the questions, the more unsure and confused I become. I'm sure this is simple if I could untwist my mind.

We are MFJ. I was the actual owner of the HSA through my employer and family was covered by HDHP. This was the only HSA/HDHP we had. When encountering the "tell us about the health-related accounts you had in 2020", I am unsure of who should be checked off for having HSA. Is it just myself, or both myself and spouse? 

When I tried it as just myself, I end up with messages about possible lapse in coverage for spouse (not true), or other things I need to answer that seem incorrect or too vague. But spouse does not have her own HSA, so I'm stuck with uncertainty. 

I've browsed similar Q&A on these topics and came across answers indicating TT doesn't really present it properly or it will be interpreted correctly since we'll be marking "Family". I hate to say it, but it seems topics like this that can be interpreted literally and perhaps incorrectly should come with additional clarity within TT's Help section or similar. 

Thanks for any guidance and the sanity that comes with it,

John

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

HSA & HDHP for married filing jointly

"Is it just myself, or both myself and spouse? "

As you said, you were the owner of the HSA, so answer just you for the HSA. Your spouse does not have an HSA so do not indicate that your spouse has one.

"When I tried it as just myself, I end up with messages about possible lapse in coverage for spouse (not true), or other things I need to answer that seem incorrect or too vague. But spouse does not have her own HSA, so I'm stuck with uncertainty. "

For your spouse, answer "NONE" to the question for your spouse for what type of HDHP your spouse had on December 1, 2019. She should not have seen the question. It was only for taxpayers who had an HSA in 2019 and who made contributions to it - your spouse didn't have an HSA in 2019, so should not have seen the question (this is a issue with the interview, not you).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies