Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Form 5498-SA v. 1099-SA

Hello!  For my HSA contributions I received the 5498-SA form but did NOT receive a 1099-SA form for 2023.  I did not take any distributions, and I see that it is possible (or likely?) that I will not receive the 1099-SA if I did not take any distribution.   I also have been told the 5498-SA form is "informational" and should not be entered into TurboTax.  So my question is this:  What do I need to report in TurboTax related to my HSA?  I fully contributed into my HSA.

The 5498-SA form says, "Please use this information to fill out IRS tax form 8889, which is what you need to submit your taxes."  So what do I fill out in TurboTax to take care of this?  I don't think I've taken a distribution for my HSA in a few years but this is the first year I recall not getting a 1099-SA form.  Can anyone please help?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The 8889 is indeed automatically generated by TurboTax, based on your entries.

No, please do not enter the $0 in distributions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

1. The 1099-SA is indeed for distributions only, not for contributions.

2. The 5498-SA is indeed for information only.

3. This means that you don't put anything from the 5498-SA into TurboTax, because you should already have all the information you need.

4. You said you made contributions: some of them were through (and by) your employer, appearing as code W in box 12 of your W-2, and others possible made directly to the HSA custodian (not through your employer).

4.A. you entered the initial contributions when you entered your W-2.

4.B. if you made direct contributions, then I am assuming that you know this amount (like from your checkbook). I say this because figuring out the 2023 direct contribution from the 5498-SA is convoluted for the taxpayer (read the instructions for Box 2 for the 5498-SA at the Instructions for "Forms 1099-SA and 5498-SA" - note that this document starts with the 1099-SA.

Once you have done 4.A and 4.B, you have entered what you needed to for your HSA for 2023. I don't know why you've gotten 1099-SA most years, if you didn't take anything out of the HSA...

Thanks so much, BillM223!  I did not make any direct contributions to my HSA -- everything was a payroll deduction and this was entered into TurboTax via my W-2, as you stated.  Does this mean the IRS 8889 form will automatically be generated based on this?  Is there nowhere I need to plug in that I took $0 in distributions?  Thanks again!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The 8889 is indeed automatically generated by TurboTax, based on your entries.

No, please do not enter the $0 in distributions. 

Fash
Level 1

I don't have a 1099-SA (didn't take any distributions) but received 1095-C and 5498-SA. Where TurboTax asks "Tell us about health-related accounts you had in 2023", do I leave all boxes (HSA MSA etc) unchecked?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS Forms 1095-B and 1095-C are for your records only, as the IRS does not need any details from them.  See here.

IRS Form 5498-SA is for informational purposes.  You do not need to enter it into TurboTax.  See here.

When you claim a deduction for your IRA contributions, you will reference the amounts on IRS Form 5498.

Retain the forms for your records.

@Fash 

The amount reported in box 2 of my HSA 5498-SA is indeed reported on my W-2 box 12c with code W. This would validate the comments that we do not need to enter the 5498-SA info separately, as this would be a double entry. 

While we are on the topic, for what it's worth, I also received form 5498 "IRA Contribution Information", with a letter attached from the broker telling me it is also for informational purposes, and is a record of any deposits made to be kept with my tax documents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies