Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Catch-Up Contribution

I am married filing jointly; spouse and I are both over 55. For 2024, spouse and I were both covered by my family HDHP from 1/1 to 6/30. (I am self-employed and am the subscriber on this plan.) I have an HSA, but spouse did not from 1/1 to 6/30. Then, spouse got a job and, effective 7/1, we are now both covered under an HDHP available through spouse’s employment. Spouse also got an HSA through employer as of 7/1. We canceled my original HDHP effective 6/30, but I still have my separate HSA. Assuming we continue to be covered on spouse’s HDHP for the rest of the year, and ignoring the last-month rule, can we each make $1000 in catch-up contributions to our own HSAs for 2024? My understanding is that we would both have been “eligible individuals” for the entire year, even though we were covered by two different HDHPs for the first, then second, halves of the year, but my spouse didn’t open an HSA until 7/1. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

"My understanding is that we would both have been “eligible individuals” for the entire year"

Correct.  For 2024 you each are permitted make the $1,000 catch-up contribution to your respective HSAs.  The regular annual HSA contribution limit of $8,300 for having family HDHP coverage must be split between the two of you.

Thanks! So if you're 55 or older and covered by an HDHP for the entire year, you can make the entire $1000 catch-up contribution, even if you wait until later in the year to open your HSA. Nice to be able to make $2000 total in catch-ups!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies