Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to use the 2019 tax information that I have saved into TurboTax Deluxe online (Not Filed/submitted yet) to E-file through desktop 2019 TurboTax Deluxe software?

How to use the 2019 tax information that I have saved into TurboTax Deluxe online (Not Filed/submitted yet) to E-file through desktop 2019 TurboTax Deluxe software?

Except for filing my 2019 federal and state taxes, I have entered all the information required for 2019 taxes on TurboTax Deluxe online site. Now, I wanted to use the same information and E-file my federal and state taxes through the 2019 Turbotax Deluxe desktop software that I have without again reentering the 2019 information on my local/desktop system. Please let me know if it is possible to retrieve the 2019 tax information that is not already submitted into my 2019 TurboTax application on my desktop/system or not?

Would I be able to bring in the unfiled 2019 tax information that I entered into the TurboTax online application into my 2019 TurboTax Deluxe application installed on to my windows desktop?

Also, please let me know how much is the charge to E-FILE charge an ILLINOIS state return using the 2019 Turbotax Deluxe desktop software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@ski123786  

The file you need is not a *.tax file but for 2019 will be a *.tax2019 data file.

Here's how to download the *.tax2019 data file you prepared in Online TurboTax so you can finish it and file in the desktop software.

• Log into Online TurboTax and open the 2019 online return you've been working on.
  • Once the return open, go to the left column menu and click on TAX TOOLS.
  • In the Tools popup, choose "Save your 2019 return to your computer."
  • It will download with the file name taxreturn.tax2019   (you can rename it, but it must end with the .tax2019 file extension).

Once you have the file on your computer, you can open it with your desktop software.   To do that, launch TurboTax and at the main TurboTax screen click on the FILE menu in the top left corner of the TurboTax interface, and in the dropdown menu choose OPEN TAX RETURN.   A file directory window will popup, and you can point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2019 data file.

NOTE:  If your 2019 data file has a state return in it, be sure to download the state program into your desktop software before opening the file, or you'll get an error message.   To get the state program you can start a dummy new return just long enough to download the state program into your software.

You said:  "Also, there is no existing turbo tax desktop software version that supports E-filing a state return."

I'm not sure why you said that.   All of the desktop software editions can efile a state return.  There is a 24.99 state efile fee, but no efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state return.

NOTE:  I don't know which version of Deluxe you have.  Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one is a combo Federal and State version that includes a state program, and there is a version of Deluxe that is Federal-only.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

See the following FAQ for instructions to switch from TurboTax Online to the CD/Download TurboTax software. Following these instructions will transfer all your online information to the desktop software.

How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?

The charge to e-file a state tax return with the desktop software is $24.99.

Hello Sir, can you please clearly state with proper steps on how I can download (in a ".tax"  format) my unfiled 2019 tax information that I have entered in TurboTax deluxe online to my local machine?  I want to use that .tax file to E-FILE my 2019 taxes using the 2019 Turbotax deluxe desktop software. Please kindly respond to my question without fail. Thanks!

I don't find any option to download my unfiled/non-IRS submitted 2019 tax information in .tax file format that can be used with the desktop software.  

Also, there is no existing turbo tax desktop software version that supports E-filing a state return.  

@ski123786  

The file you need is not a *.tax file but for 2019 will be a *.tax2019 data file.

Here's how to download the *.tax2019 data file you prepared in Online TurboTax so you can finish it and file in the desktop software.

• Log into Online TurboTax and open the 2019 online return you've been working on.
  • Once the return open, go to the left column menu and click on TAX TOOLS.
  • In the Tools popup, choose "Save your 2019 return to your computer."
  • It will download with the file name taxreturn.tax2019   (you can rename it, but it must end with the .tax2019 file extension).

Once you have the file on your computer, you can open it with your desktop software.   To do that, launch TurboTax and at the main TurboTax screen click on the FILE menu in the top left corner of the TurboTax interface, and in the dropdown menu choose OPEN TAX RETURN.   A file directory window will popup, and you can point TurboTax to the location of the *.tax2019 data file.

NOTE:  If your 2019 data file has a state return in it, be sure to download the state program into your desktop software before opening the file, or you'll get an error message.   To get the state program you can start a dummy new return just long enough to download the state program into your software.

You said:  "Also, there is no existing turbo tax desktop software version that supports E-filing a state return."

I'm not sure why you said that.   All of the desktop software editions can efile a state return.  There is a 24.99 state efile fee, but no efile fee for New York state.  There is no fee to print and mail the state return.

NOTE:  I don't know which version of Deluxe you have.  Deluxe comes in 2 versions--one is a combo Federal and State version that includes a state program, and there is a version of Deluxe that is Federal-only.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies