Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronloftis

How to Transfer files from WIN 8.1 to new laptop with WIN 11

Need to amend 2019 and 2020 taxes on older laptop with WIN 8.1. New Laptop is Win 11. How can I get all of my previous years 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 over to new computer to file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Well you won't be able in install 2019 again anywhere.  So if you still have it installed on the old computer use that to amend 2019.  Same for 2020 if you can't get it installed on the new computer.  

Then for 2020 onward......

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  They only support the last 3 years so you might not be able to update older years or download any state programs you need.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

You only need the 2022 file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023.  Have you installed 2023 yet?  Oh, how did you do 2022?  It won't work on Win8.1.   I had to get a new laptop to do 2022 also.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's too late to get a refund for 2019. If your amended 2019 tax return shows a refund you will not get the refund, but if it shows additional tax due you still have to pay it.

To get a refund for 2020 you must file the amended return by May 17.

ronloftis

I know about the refund etc. I have 11 days to get this done. All I'm asking about is how to get my former files from WIN 8.1 old laptop to new laptop WIN11... I took my discs and put those programs on new laptop. However when trying to open the files to download the saved returns from old laptop it wants to update and then get hung up and gives error 7001. Turbo Tax is already running under another program etc. Frustrated. But thanks for all your help

Only try to open 1 year.  There have been reports that people can't open more than 1 program at a time.  Did you get the programs installed ok and activated with the License Code?  Can you start a new return in them?  

Don't try to open the files by clicking on the files themselves.  First open the program and go to File-Open then browse to where you copied it to.  Oh, don't open them from the flash drive etc.  First copy the .tax files to the new computer's hard drive C:.  But you first need to update the program and download any state programs you need.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies