turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report details from Box 11 code B from K-1 from an estate?

I received a K-1 from my mother-in-law's estate. Box 11(B) in the K-1 refers to a statement at the end of the K-1 (numbers at the bottom of this post are fictitious but consistent).

In the Easy Step in Turbo Tax I put in a value of $50 in Box 11 (B) for excess deductions on termination.

I then get a notice that states "Your entry for Box 11B will require some follow-up." It states that I'll need to enter the amount(s) from the statement in the corresponding topic in Turbo Tax. I have no idea what to enter and where. The instructions are very vague. Can someone please provide detailed instructions based on the data I've provided below? Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box 11 - Excess Deductions on Termination

Total Income (form 1041, Line 9) : -$200

Plus: Capital Losses: $200

Less: Total Deductions (Form 1041, Line 16) $100

Deductions in Excess of Income: $100 

Total Excess Deductions: $100

Beneficiary's Percentage: 50%

Excess Deductions on Termination: $50

All excess deductions are applicable to the net investment income tax

Box 11(B) Excess Deductions on Terminations - Non-miscellaneous Itemized  Deductions

Interest Portion of Excess Deductions on Termination: $20

Taxes Portion of Excess Deductions on Termination: $30

Investment Property Taxes Portion of Taxes: $30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

It's really pretty simple.  If this is the final return of the estate or trust, and there are excess deductions on termination that are non-miscellaneous itemized deductions reported to you as a beneficiary, you may deduct the excess deductions shown in box 11, code B, on the applicable line of Schedule A (Form 1040).  Each excess deduction on termination of an estate or trust retains its separate character.  If your percentage of the non-miscellaneous deductions you listed is 50%, then you would have a $10 interest deduction, a $15 Tax deduction, and a $15 Tax on Investment Property deduction.  You enter these deductions in the Deductions & Credits section of TurboTax according to the nature of the deduction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I generally understand what you are saying but I can't find the appropriate place to put these deductions. 

1. Interest deduction: On Schedule A and the Easy Step option I only see the ability to deduct mortgage interest and Investment interest. I'm not sure where this particular interest comes from.  On the 1041 Line 10 that accompanied the K-1 it is just stated as "Interest". Where exactly do I put the $10? I don't know what category it falls to. 

2. Investment property Tax deduction: Similar question for this one. Where exactly do I input this? on Schedule A and the Easy Step option I see the ability to designate "state and local real estate taxes" or "other taxes". I'm not sure where to put this either.

I really appreciate help in this. Thank you!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can put interest under mortgage interest and the taxes would go under other taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies