How to Remove Earned Income Credit claim for New York State return only

In TurboTax, is it possible to remove EIC claim for the New York State return, but keep it in for Federal?  Seems like the EIC auto-populates for New York if you claim it on the federal return.  

Why do you want to remove it?

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

NYS subjects approximately 20% of self-employed EITC claimants to very onerous and lengthy audits.  Many people don't want to go through that ordeal just to get a few bucks.  

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to leave it off, short of using the desktop program and forms mode to override it.  Overrides can't be e-filed and they void the accuracy guarantee.  And I don't know about NY, but if you are eligible for federal EIC and leave it off your return, they will automatically add it for you.  If you find it is not automatic on the NY return you can try and skip it; for example, if the program says something like "You appear to be eligible for NY EIC, let's double-check your qualifications" maybe you can skip it.  But if it automatically pulls it from federal, I think you aren't going to get around it.

thanks.  are you aware of any other tax prep software that would allow someone to skip EITC for the state return?  

I don't study other software.  But the problem you will have, I think, is that the demand for guranteed accurate returns and maximum refunds is going to mean that every company will automatically include EIC if you qualify, and as I said, New York may add it for you if you try and leave it off.