turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Remove Earned Income Credit claim for New York State return only

In TurboTax, is it possible to remove EIC claim for the New York State return, but keep it in for Federal?  Seems like the EIC auto-populates for New York if you claim it on the federal return.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why do you want to remove it?

NYS subjects approximately 20% of self-employed EITC claimants to very onerous and lengthy audits.  Many people don't want to go through that ordeal just to get a few bucks.  

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to leave it off, short of using the desktop program and forms mode to override it.  Overrides can't be e-filed and they void the accuracy guarantee.  And I don't know about NY, but if you are eligible for federal EIC and leave it off your return, they will automatically add it for you.  If you find it is not automatic on the NY return you can try and skip it; for example, if the program says something like "You appear to be eligible for NY EIC, let's double-check your qualifications" maybe you can skip it.  But if it automatically pulls it from federal, I think you aren't going to get around it.

thanks.  are you aware of any other tax prep software that would allow someone to skip EITC for the state return?  

I don't study other software.  But the problem you will have, I think, is that the demand for guranteed accurate returns and maximum refunds is going to mean that every company will automatically include EIC if you qualify, and as I said, New York may add it for you if you try and leave it off.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies