Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dss810

how to record QIP bonus deprecaition under the CARES ACT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act first provided the definition of QIP that may apply to assets placed in service after Dec. 31, 2015. Qualified improvement property includes improvements made by the taxpayer to the interior portion of nonresidential real property that are placed in service after the building was first placed in service, but does not include structural components, elevators or escalators.

Qualified improvement property that is placed in service after Dec. 31, 2017, was intended to have a 15-year recovery period under the general depreciation system (GDS) or a 20-year recovery period under ADS, and generally be eligible for bonus depreciation. However, a drafting error in the TCJA left QIP off the list of 15-year property and made it ineligible for bonus depreciation. The CARES Act fixes that error and provides the originally intended 15-year GDS recovery period (20-year ADS) and bonus depreciation eligibility for QIP.

here are the steps I had to take because the TT guidance says you need to mark the technical corrections act box yes.   i can't find it

type of asset line 5 - other

economic  stimulus property 9a - check yes

bonus & line 9g - check 100%

deprec type line 45 - macrs

asset class line 46 - 15

depr method line 47 - SL

JROBBINS2
Returning Member

Thank you, I have contacted TT 3 times regarding this problem and not once have I gotten a useful answer. Truly appreciate your input which solved the problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies