Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to prevent double counting MUNI dividend excemption in state taxes

I have $600 reported as exempt interest in 1099-DIV from CA MUNI bond (also the state of my residence).  TT correctly recognizes this automatically in CA state taxes for exemption but counts it twice, ones under Dividend income and another time for Interest income giving me a total exemption of $1200. I can't figure out what I did incorrect as I simply put all the info from 1099-DIV as is.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How to prevent double counting MUNI dividend excemption in state taxes

There have been a couple problems similar to this one...but not exactly the same.

1)  First thing to try.  Delete that 1099-DIV entirely....and see if there still are $$ assigned as CA exempt on the CA tax forms...if so, then there's a different 1099-DIV with box 12 $$, or 1099-INT with box 8 $$ that you've entered indicating those $$ are from CA bonds.  Either correctly entered, or a duplicate of what you've already entered.

________

or

2)  IF deleting that 1099-DIV eliminates all of the CA-exempt $$, you try the following.

....2a) subtract all of the box 12 $$ that belongs to CA-exempt in dividends, and manually create a new 1099-DIV from the same issuer with only the CA $$ in box 12.  Then on the follow-up page you designate it all as CA bond dividends.

.....2b)  Put in the former 1099-DIV again, but make sure the CA-exempt $$ are subtracted from box 12.  On the follow-up page designate it all as "Multiple States".

That should fix the problem.

A warning though...for a 1099-DIV form make sure that the $$ designated as being CA-exempt came from a fund that held more than 50% of its assets in CA bonds.  CA doesn't allow its taxpayers to designate those $$ unless the fund held mostly CA bonds. 

But if you have any $$ in box 8 of a 1099-INT, those can be always split up as CA-exempt vs Multiple States at any time, since you are actually holding individual CA Muni bonds.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies