Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

giksdifih3k399j
Returning Member

How to NOT display phone number on my tax filing?

As there is no actual requirement by the IRS to include a phone number on your return I would like to not have it displayed on my tax filing documents.   When reviewing the worksheets for the return there is a section on the "Federal Information Worksheet, Part II" which states "Check to print phone number on Form 1040" and for "Taxpayer Daytime" the box is checked.  I don't recall checking the box but also can't find a way to uncheck the box.  I'm using the web-based version of Premier if that makes a difference.  How do I proceed so that my phone number is not displayed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You can use a fake number. 

giksdifih3k399j
Returning Member

Thanks for the response but that doesn't quite answer the question.  I'm not interested in using a fake number.  I am looking for it to not be displayed at all.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Starting in tax year 2019, the IRS has added a phone number line to Form 1040 in the signature section. This entry is optional at this time.

The IRS asks for your phone number in case they have a question about your return. They will not accept an international phone number on your return.

In order to complete and e-file your return, you can enter the phone number of a relative or friend in the U.S if you do not have a phone number, or a "dummy number." (800-555-1212).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies