Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to mail 8453 when amending return? The TurboTax instructions differ from the form instructions.

I'm amending my 2022 return which includes a change to form 8949. I'm mailing the amended return.

When I printed the return, TurboTax includes form 8453 as the first page to send and instructs me to "attach all forms or schedules that changed" and "mail your return and attachments to" the Ogden, UT address. 

When I look at the instructions for the 8453 form, it wants me to mail that form along with 8949 to Austin, TX. 

My questions:

1. Do I follow the TurboTax instructions and send everything to Ogden, UT? Or do I split out the 8453 and 8949 to go to Austin?
  2. If I split those out, do I also send another copy of the 8949 with the rest of my return to Ogden as well as Austin? Or is the one copy going to Ogden enough?

Thanks all,

-Chris

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to mail 8453 when amending return? The TurboTax instructions differ from the form instructions.

if you're mailing your amended return, you don't file form 8453. That's only used when a return is e-filed.  rather you either detail all the transactions making whatever corrections are needed or submit the corrected form 1099-B with the amended return. schedule D and all forms 8949 must be submitted along with any other forms that change. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

1. Do I follow the TurboTax instructions and send everything to Ogden, UT? Or do I split out the 8453 and 8949 to go to Austin?   IF YOU ARE MAILING IN AN AMENDED RETURN IGNORE THE FORM 8453.
  2. If I split those out, do I also send another copy of the 8949 with the rest of my return to Ogden as well as Austin? Or is the one copy going to Ogden enough?   ONLY MAIL THE 1040X + OTHER CHANGED FORMS TO TEXAS ... DO NOT MAIL ANYTHING TO UTAH.

Thanks for your reply, but amended forms for my state, and almost half the country, do go to Ogden, UT (https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...).

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can rely on your information for the previous question either.

Sorry ... I saw Austin and thought TX which is where all the amended returns go from my state.  Bottom line is ONLY file the amended return and ignore the 8453. 

if you're mailing your amended return, you don't file form 8453. That's only used when a return is e-filed.  rather you either detail all the transactions making whatever corrections are needed or submit the corrected form 1099-B with the amended return. schedule D and all forms 8949 must be submitted along with any other forms that change. 

Thanks @Critter-3 and @Mike9241, that makes sense from the purpose of the form. It would be nice if TurboTax hadn't included that form as one to send with the amended return. And yes, I did only print the forms that needed to be mailed...not the entire thing including worksheets. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies