Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to file

I was married in Nov, but due to my state having to mail your driver license I had to wait to change my social security card to my married name. They received my application and sent me my new card dated 12/22. I received the card 01/02/24. My question is how I file my taxes since my bank accounts and payroll thru work is still in my maiden name waiting on the new social?  Also if he hasn't worked this year (2023)how do I put that information in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

how to file

I'll page @Mike9241 

how to file

If you have trouble filing with your new married name you can still use your maiden name on the tax return.  The new SS card might be too late for the IRS to double check with your return.  I would try using your maiden name.   Your work and banks shouldn't be a problem.

You should usually file a Joint return which is only 1 return combined for the both of you. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction. And if you are in a Community Property state MFS gets tricky to figure out. Make sure to stick with this one account for the future. Just ignore the other spouse's account.

Start a return and enter your name and info. It will ask if you are single or married. When you pick married a box will open for her name and info. Then when you enter any forms like W2s or 1099s be sure to pick who it is for. That is very important. When you get married you are considered married for the whole year even if you got married on Dec 31.

Getting Married FAQ
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-filing-status/help/what-does-getting-married-mean-for-my-taxes...

Tax info on getting married
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/marriage/getting-married/L0DvEUlEC

Did you both use Turbo Tax last year?

You can not transfer from or combine 2 returns or accounts. Just pick the return for the spouse that has the most complicated return to enter or has any depreciation or business or more investments. Or use the account/return for whoever you want to be listed first going forward (by the way you can not change the order of the names). Then add the other spouse's name, ssn and info to it.

But if you want to keep the prior accounts separate from the new Joint account then start a new account. Online is only good for one return per account. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.

How to start a new online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

how to file

In most cases, you should use the name that the social security administration has on file for you when you are ready to file.  If that e-file attempt is rejected, you can try the other name and re-transmit the return.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

how to file

@kaylahunter05 wrote:

Also if he hasn't worked this year (2023)how do I put that information in?

You do not put in anything to indicate that your husband didn't work. You just don't enter any income information for him. But you still file a joint return with your husband. Your filing status will be "married filing jointly."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies