Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file PTC Form 8962 for dependent mother?

My mom is getting marketplace Insurance coverage (state of NJ) and she received the form 1095A that reflects her Premium Tax credits. As head of household,  i claim my mother as dependent in my tax return. (She does not file separate tax return on her own).  In this situation - How do i file the form 8962 to report the PTC information from 1095A for my mom? Should i report it in my tax return since i am claiming her as dependent?  (for both Federal and NJ state tax returns).  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

She has to file her own tax return and indicate on the return that she can be claimed as a dependent.  She has to enter her Form 1095-A on her tax return.

To enter, edit or delete your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

Thanks for the response. If i look at the instructions in 8962 tax form (Instructions for Form 8962 (2023) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)) i see the following information there. Can you pls clarify which is accurate info here? 

"If you are claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, the person who claims you will file Form 8962 to take the PTC and, if necessary, repay excess APTC for your coverage. You do not need to file Form 8962."

@kvsub After further review the Form 1095-A received by the dependent has to be entered on your tax return.  After the Form 1095-A has been completed the TurboTax program will complete the Form 8962 for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies